Amateur Astronomers Association of Pittsburgh
Directions to Wagman Observatory, (724) 224-2510
From PA Turnpike
For a printable version of these directions, click here.
- Follow the turnpike to Exit 48 (old #5), Allegheny Valley.
- Leaving the toll gate, take the left ramp (Cheswick/Springdale) to get onto northbound Freeport Road (actually, going east at this point), heading away from all the restaurants.
- After 1/2 mile, turn left at the traffic light onto Pearl Ave.
- Follow Pearl Ave, which becomes Russellton Road and then Little Deer Creek Road, for 5.9 miles. At this point, you will be entering Russellton. In downtown Russellton, turn right with the Orange Belt (between the bank and drug store).
- You will pass a Mars Bank on your right hand, and a car wash on your left. Then, just after passing through the railroad overpass, the entrance to Deer Lakes Park will be on the left. Turn left into the park. You've made it this far, don't give up now! Believe it or not, this is where many people get lost!!
- Follow the road through the park for 1.2 miles. Ignore the signs and turn-offs for entrance #1 and entrance #2. Stay on the main road.
- You will soon be driving up a steep hill and going through a sharp left curve, then a right curve. Then, just at the crest of the hill, on the left hand side, is a yellow gate with the street number "225" on the right-hand pillar; this is the entrance to the observatory. If the gate is opened, drive on in! Please turn off your headlights and proceed with parking lights only (if dark). Note that the observatory has no domes; it looks like a windowless house with a split roof. Many people who see it during the day believe it is some type of utility shed!