Amateur Astronomers Association of Pittsburgh
Directions to Wagman Observatory, (724) 224-2510
From 28 southbound (Kittanning)
For a printable version of these directions, click here.
- Follow PA 28 south to Exit #12 (Cheswick/Springdale); at the end of the ramp, turn right onto Hite Road
- In 0.3 mile at the stop sign, turn right onto Russellton Road.
- Follow Russellton Road, which becomes Little Deer Creek Road, for 4.7 miles, at which point you will be joining the Orange Belt in downtown Russellton; turn to the right with the Orange Belt (between the bank and drug store).
- You will pass a Mars Bank on your right hand, and a car wash on your left. Then, just after passing through the railroad overpass, the entrance to Deer Lakes Park will be on the left. Turn left into the park. You've made it this far, don't give up now! Believe it or not, this is where many people get lost!!
- Follow the road through the park for 1.2 miles. Ignore the signs and turn-offs for entrance #1 and entrance #2. Stay on the main road.
- You will soon be driving up a steep hill and going through a sharp left curve, then a right curve. Then, just at the crest of the hill, on the left hand side, is a yellow gate with the street number "225" on the right-hand pillar; this is the entrance to the observatory. If the gate is opened, drive on in! Please turn off your headlights and proceed with parking lights only (if dark). Note that the observatory has no domes; it looks like a windowless house with a split roof. Many people who see it during the day believe it is some type of utility shed!